EUGENE, Ore. – Sophomore left-hander Cole Irvin has been named a preseason third-team All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA).
Oregon’s Saturday starter last season, Irvin finished with a school-record 12 wins while wrapping up his freshman season with a 2.48 ERA, a 12-3 record and four complete games. He claimed freshman All-America honors by both the NCBWA and Louisville Slugger, while earning honorable mention all-league recognition.
Irvin claimed Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week honors twice, while being named the NCBWA National Pitcher of the Week once. He won both the national and conference award after throwing his first career complete game, a 6-0 shutout of Washington where he struck out a season-high 11. His second Pac-12 award came after he shut out Ohio State in a 4-0 win with seven strikeouts. Irvin was also named to the Eugene Regional All-Tournament Team after holding San Francisco to just one run on six hits with nine strikeouts.
The Yorba Linda, Calif., native started last season as Oregon’s Sunday starter but moved to Saturday’s in early April. After the change, Irvin went 6-2 with a 1.92 ERA and three complete games in eight starts. He finished the season with seven straight quality starts, while tying teammate Tommy Thorpe with a team-high 12 quality starts during the season.
(From Oregon Sports Media) (Photo by Gary Breedlove)
Volunteer Position Openings:
- Basketball Writer: Do you know the game and love to think about the upcoming season for our beloved Ducks? Write about them! It's fun doing homework on a winner!
- Assistant Football Analyst: Love college football and enjoy watching it for hours? We need associates to view games and find the techniques/teaching points we identify for them in advance. You will be recognized in publications, and could have the opportunity to move to full Analyst.
- College Football Analyst: We are looking for Coaches, or retired coaches to help create analysis videos (we do the video part) that will be viewed by thousands, and will help young football players as well as fans understand the game much better. The national recognition will help your resume' as well as make an impact upon the game we all dearly love.
- Video Specialist: We are looking for help in the Eugene/Springfield area to assist with the shooting and editing of analysis videos.
- All Positions: Send a resume' with full contact information and any writing samples you have to email@example.com Again, these are volunteer positions donating five hours a week each.