EUGENE, Ore. – Oregon is ranked No. 6 in the preseason poll released by Collegiate Baseball today. The Ducks received 483 points, just 12 less than No. 1 Cal State Fullerton.
Oregon returns six starting position players off the 2013 team, which finished 48-16 and advanced to the NCAA Regionals, as well as all three weekend starters on the mound. Overall, UO returns 12 position players, 11 of 15 pitchers, and two redshirts who could start while boasting one of the top recruiting classes in the country.
Friday starter Tommy Thorpe, Saturday starter Cole Irvin and Sunday starter Jake Reed return after combining for a 25-14 record in 2013 with a 2.69 ERA. Irvin, a sophomore, set an Oregon record in wins with 12 (12-4) while finishing his freshman campaign with a 2.48 ERA. Thorpe topped the starters with a 2.16 ERA while finishing with a 7-5 record. Reed made a team-high 17 starts finishing 6-6 with a 3.50 ERA.
The Ducks lost All-American closer Jimmie Sherfy and reliever Christian Jones to the Major League Baseball draft, but return sophomore Garrett Cleavinger (9-0, 2 saves, 37 appearances) and Darrell Hunter (2-0, 1 save, 28 appearances) to headline what should be a deep bullpen.
Sophomore Mitchell Tolman, junior Scott Heineman, senior Tyler Baumgartner and senior Aaron Payne will lead the Ducks’ offensive attack. Tolman finished third on the team in batting (.315) in 2013, while finishing with 37 RBI. Heineman, who was a Cape Cod League all-star during the summer, batted .278 with 38 RBI, 14 doubles and 12 stolen bases.
Oregon will play 21 games against teams ranked in the top 40 of the poll, including three games against top-ranked Cal State Fullerton (Feb. 28-March 2) at PK Park in Eugene. The Ducks also play five games against No. 4 Oregon State (April 25-27 @OSU; May 6 @PK; May 20 @PK), three games at No. 15 UCLA (May 16-18), three games at No. 22 Arizona State (May 9-11), three games vs. No. 24 Arizona (May 2-4), three games at No. 26 Stanford (March 28-30) and one game vs. No. 33 San Diego (April 14) in Eugene.
From Oregon Sports Media/GoDucks.com Top Photo by Gary Breedlove
Volunteer Position Openings:
- Basketball Writer: Do you know the game and love to think about the upcoming season for our beloved Ducks? Write about them! It's fun doing homework on a winner!
- Assistant Football Analyst: Love college football and enjoy watching it for hours? We need associates to view games and find the techniques/teaching points we identify for them in advance. You will be recognized in publications, and could have the opportunity to move to full Analyst.
- College Football Analyst: We are looking for Coaches, or retired coaches to help create analysis videos (we do the video part) that will be viewed by thousands, and will help young football players as well as fans understand the game much better. The national recognition will help your resume' as well as make an impact upon the game we all dearly love.
- Video Specialist: We are looking for help in the Eugene/Springfield area to assist with the shooting and editing of analysis videos.
- All Positions: Send a resume' with full contact information and any writing samples you have to firstname.lastname@example.org Again, these are volunteer positions donating five hours a week each.