Footballscoop.com and Justin Hopkins of Duck Territory are reporting this morning on Twitter that Don Pellum is going to be named as the new Oregon defensive coordinator.
If so, given the candidates considered and their track records, the initial reaction is that this is a shocking and disappointing development. The linebackers were the main problem on defense this year in a season the Ducks struggled to stop the run and had just 70 tackles for loss all year.
Pellum has been a capable recruiter and a faithful position coach, but nothing about this selection suggests excellence or improvement in the Oregon defense. He's 80% of Nick Aliotti after the Ducks had considered some of the top defensive minds in the country, including defensive backs coach John Neal, Todd Orlando of Utah State, and Clancy Pendergast, a 15-year NFL veteran who transformed USC's defense this year.
Volunteer Position Openings:
- Basketball Writer: Do you know the game and love to think about the upcoming season for our beloved Ducks? Write about them! It's fun doing homework on a winner!
- Assistant Football Analyst: Love college football and enjoy watching it for hours? We need associates to view games and find the techniques/teaching points we identify for them in advance. You will be recognized in publications, and could have the opportunity to move to full Analyst.
- College Football Analyst: We are looking for Coaches, or retired coaches to help create analysis videos (we do the video part) that will be viewed by thousands, and will help young football players as well as fans understand the game much better. The national recognition will help your resume' as well as make an impact upon the game we all dearly love.
- Video Specialist: We are looking for help in the Eugene/Springfield area to assist with the shooting and editing of analysis videos.
- All Positions: Send a resume' with full contact information and any writing samples you have to email@example.com Again, these are volunteer positions donating five hours a week each.