He caught three touchdowns in the Florida State 8A Championship game, and for the season, 42 balls for an eye-catching 1052 yards and 15 scores. That’s 25 yards a catch.
C.J. Worton plays with flair. A 3-star leaper with great timing at 6-1, 175, he goes up and takes the ball on fade routes, plucks it out of the air with his hands only over the middle, and eludes defenders for big plays. He’s fast and shifty with great hands.
Worton earns a whoa: C.J. Worton, a dynamic pass-catcher from Florida, can really go up and get the ball, but can the Ducks go down to South Dade and get him?
Committed to Florida State since August of 2012, he’s recently opened up his commitment to tremendous interest, particularly from Miami, Florida, West Virginia, and Central Florida, where his older brother J,J. is currently a star wideout, making a sensational one-handed game-saving touchdown catch against Temple in November.
The eldest brother, Cody, played at Florida on national championship teams with Chris Leak and Tim Tebow as a walk-on safety and wide receiver.
The family competition has blessed C.J. with exceptional competitive instincts. He fights for balls, blazes past coverage and wriggles out of tight spaces. His highlight film is three minutes of “wow” and “oh my” but the trouble is, Oregon only recently offered, and he might not make it out for his scheduled visit.
Justin Hopkins of 247 Sports reported Wednesday he’s coming January 31st.
But on the same day, Worton gave an interview to Chris Hays, who covers recruiting for the Orlando Sentinel. He told that reporter, “It’s like a 13-hour flight or something like that to Oregon, and I can’t miss any school, so by the time I got out there it wouldn’t be much time to actually see the facilities and everything before I had to come right back home.”
From Miami, United and American offer connecting flights to Eugene that come in around eight and a half hours, depending on head winds.
The flashy senior has a trip this weekend trips to Gainesville this weekend, so Matt Lubick’s efforts may come up empty. Watching his film, however, the inevitable comparison is to another skinny, tenacious playmaker, Jeff Maehl. Getting Worton to land in Eugene, and then landing him, would be a special delivery.
Volunteer Position Openings:
- Basketball Writer: Do you know the game and love to think about the upcoming season for our beloved Ducks? Write about them! It's fun doing homework on a winner!
- Assistant Football Analyst: Love college football and enjoy watching it for hours? We need associates to view games and find the techniques/teaching points we identify for them in advance. You will be recognized in publications, and could have the opportunity to move to full Analyst.
- College Football Analyst: We are looking for Coaches, or retired coaches to help create analysis videos (we do the video part) that will be viewed by thousands, and will help young football players as well as fans understand the game much better. The national recognition will help your resume' as well as make an impact upon the game we all dearly love.
- Video Specialist: We are looking for help in the Eugene/Springfield area to assist with the shooting and editing of analysis videos.
- All Positions: Send a resume' with full contact information and any writing samples you have to firstname.lastname@example.org Again, these are volunteer positions donating five hours a week each.