It’s here. National Signing Day. The stakes couldn’t be any higher for Oregon as it enters one of the most pivotal phases in program history. Chip Kelly is now fully in the rear-view mirror in the minds of recruits. How will head man Mark Helfrich fare on the final day of his first full recruiting cycle?
Oregon received a pledge from defensive lineman Austin Maloata (3-Star/Corona, CA) in the middle of last week and now bears fifteen hard commits heading into the early morning hours of Wednesday. However, there are two names that We, The Oregon Faithful, need to pay close attention to.
Wide receiver John ‘JuJu’ Smith (5-Star/Long Beach, CA/Rivals100) and defensive lineman Trey Lealaimatafao (3-Star/San Antonio, TX) are preps still at large as of this morning (7AMPST). Oregon seems to have gained an undeniable head of steam in Smith’s recruitment as a contingent of Duck coaches met with nation’s top receiver last week.
The meeting produced several messages from inside sources that see Smith heading north to Oregon after a very impressive showing by Helfrich. Will this be Oregon’s next “DAT in the night” moment as Helfrich attempts his best Kelly impression of a late-in-the-game recruiting caper?
Lealaimatafao is even more of a mystery as the 300-plus trench behemoth has played things close to the chest since openly expressing a heavy interest in dawning Lightning Yellow and Thunder Green late last year. Until the toner is dry on the fax machine paper, little can be known of his final destination.
Stay tuned to FISHDUCK throughout the day for updates! Breaking news will be posted in a rolling thread directly below this paragraph, WTD!!!
As of 8:53AM PST… SIGNED…
QB Morgan Mahalak
DB Arrion Springs
LB Jimmie Swain
DE Justin Hollins
ATH Charles Nelson
RB Tony James
DL Henry Mondeaux
OT Braden Eggert
DL Jalen Jelks
For up to the minute recruiting news, please visit our friends at DUCK TERRITORY, who graciously provide FISHDUCK with in-depth analysis and player-generated material. Look for my latest recruiting update every Wednesday. WTD!!!
Main photo by Kevin Cline
Follow me on Twitter: @MarkDFlores
Be sure to like us on Facebook: FISHDUCK.COM
Volunteer Position Openings:
- Basketball Writer: Do you know the game and love to think about the upcoming season for our beloved Ducks? Write about them! It's fun doing homework on a winner!
- Assistant Football Analyst: Love college football and enjoy watching it for hours? We need associates to view games and find the techniques/teaching points we identify for them in advance. You will be recognized in publications, and could have the opportunity to move to full Analyst.
- College Football Analyst: We are looking for Coaches, or retired coaches to help create analysis videos (we do the video part) that will be viewed by thousands, and will help young football players as well as fans understand the game much better. The national recognition will help your resume' as well as make an impact upon the game we all dearly love.
- Video Specialist: We are looking for help in the Eugene/Springfield area to assist with the shooting and editing of analysis videos.
- All Positions: Send a resume' with full contact information and any writing samples you have to firstname.lastname@example.org Again, these are volunteer positions donating five hours a week each.