The financial website “The Street” went on a quest to find the states where the most intelligent people reside. While I have nothing but respect for Massachusetts, Minnesota, Connecticut, et. al, my greatest interest in their findings were largely in the other direction. What states put out the greatest percentile of dummies … and what might it say about college sports?
10. Tennessee: No real surprise here. The most intelligent person to come out of Tennessee was Ernie Ford and he died 23 years ago. In a state where Dollywood is considered an attraction and a faded version of Oregon State’s colors adorn the state’s premier college, the Volunteer State gets to be the smartest of the nincompoop states. I guess that’s something.
9. Oklahoma: I feel a little bit bad about this one. I have four relatives in Oklahoma and the fact that they make up 10% of the total I.Q. in the state is something that i find sad. As Oregon fans, we have had our dealings with Sooners and Sooner or later the subject of college football will come up. They have no answer for this (or anything else where more than two syllables are required).
8. Indiana: A little bit of a surprise until you remember that this is the state that idolizes a sociopath.
7. Alabama: Are we surprised that the folks in Alabama are a little slow? The state’s premier college football coach wants to codify “slow” as part of the NCAA rulebook.
6. Nevada: Surely a misprint. Wayne Newton took a run at Beverly De’Angelo in “Las Vegas Vacation.” I support that decision.
5. Louisiana: Louisiana and their state university are known for raucous and drunk home games, raucous and drunk fans at “neutral site” games within walking distance of their home field and the drunk-fest known as Mardi Gras. Eventually the folks in the Cajun State need something to dilute all that liquor. A state high on the intelligence list would choose something starchy or salty. Not so, Louisiana.
4. Kentucky: Two things that you need to know about Kentucky. They call themselves the “Bluegrass State,” but the grass isn’t blue.
And, though the first enamel bathtub was invented in Louisville in 1856, no one in Kentucky thought to bring it inside until 1956.
3. Mississippi: This is a sensitive one because a lot of Duck fans feel an affinity for Mississippi State. But the statistics don’t lie. Mississippians couldn’t communicate from town to town for years because the string tied to the can would get caught up in the cow.
2. Arkansas: The first runner-up in the 2014 Pageant of the Dumb is Arkansas. Rumor has it that this state was named when a settler without access to a Garmin, wrote home and said, “I are in Kansas.”
1. West Virginia: Look, I’m as big a fan of postgame football celebrations as anyone. There is a particular frat in Corvallis that once got extra eggs for breakfast courtesy of, well never mind that. But celebrating a big win over a rival with the torching of a perfectly good couch? That’s just dumb.
So what did we learn? Well, six of the ten states fall in SEC country, represented by nine different universities, and none of the ten states are home to a Pac-12 school. That’s easy enough to explain. Twelve is a pretty high number to count.
Go Ducks, women and men!
Top photo by de.toonpool.com.
Volunteer Position Openings:
- Basketball Writer: Do you know the game and love to think about the upcoming season for our beloved Ducks? Write about them! It's fun doing homework on a winner!
- Assistant Football Analyst: Love college football and enjoy watching it for hours? We need associates to view games and find the techniques/teaching points we identify for them in advance. You will be recognized in publications, and could have the opportunity to move to full Analyst.
- College Football Analyst: We are looking for Coaches, or retired coaches to help create analysis videos (we do the video part) that will be viewed by thousands, and will help young football players as well as fans understand the game much better. The national recognition will help your resume' as well as make an impact upon the game we all dearly love.
- Video Specialist: We are looking for help in the Eugene/Springfield area to assist with the shooting and editing of analysis videos.
- All Positions: Send a resume' with full contact information and any writing samples you have to firstname.lastname@example.org Again, these are volunteer positions donating five hours a week each.