I won’t always be broke. It’s a temporary condition due to spending too much on my own birthday and the fact that my stock options with FishDuck (FKU:NYSE) and 401k don’t vest for another year. But being broke, for no matter how long, makes one wonder, “Did I go wrong in my life? Should I have made better choices? What if I had become … a Beaver?”
Sure there would have had to have been an adjustment in the way that I look at the world.
And I would have needed to find something more interesting than college football to do on Saturdays in the fall.
But I could have done I t… couldn’t I?
Probably the hardest thing, besides all of the other things, that I would have had to do was get used to making excuses. Now excuses aren’t purely the purview of Beavers.
Oklahoma makes them:
Florida State makes them:
But to be a Beaver I was going to have to become a master of the excuse. I was going to have to be better at making excuses than this guy,
who “dated” this gal,
while being in a relationship with someone truly divine.
And that would be hard.
Sigh. I don’t know what to do. Align myself with the state’s most prestigious University on and off the field of sporting endeavor? Or spend Saturday afternoons cheering on the Bad News Bears in a half empty stadium surrounded by a couple thousand fans who get dental and fashion advice from Gollum.
I’ve made up my mind. Broke is but a temporary state of being. Beaver lingers forever.
Top photo by clipartcotttage.deviantart.com
Volunteer Position Openings:
- Basketball Writer: Do you know the game and love to think about the upcoming season for our beloved Ducks? Write about them! It's fun doing homework on a winner!
- Assistant Football Analyst: Love college football and enjoy watching it for hours? We need associates to view games and find the techniques/teaching points we identify for them in advance. You will be recognized in publications, and could have the opportunity to move to full Analyst.
- College Football Analyst: We are looking for Coaches, or retired coaches to help create analysis videos (we do the video part) that will be viewed by thousands, and will help young football players as well as fans understand the game much better. The national recognition will help your resume' as well as make an impact upon the game we all dearly love.
- Video Specialist: We are looking for help in the Eugene/Springfield area to assist with the shooting and editing of analysis videos.
- All Positions: Send a resume' with full contact information and any writing samples you have to email@example.com Again, these are volunteer positions donating five hours a week each.