Head coach Mark Helfrich hasn’t been bashful about looking for talent at the JUCO level. A long recruiting rapport with high-profile defensive end Ulric Jones (3-Star/El Dorado, KS) has paid off and the big man from the south is ever closer to donning Oregon colors.
“I talk to the Oregon coaches at least twice a week,” said Jones. “They told me the offer is coming and to keep doing what I’m doing. If Oregon offers, I’m probably going to go ahead and commit as soon as possible. Oregon is still my top choice.”
A top recruit as a prep, the 6-foot-6, 283 lb. Jones drifted into the junior college ranks where he appears to have gained potency off the edge.
“I play with a nasty streak.”
An impressive nose for the pigskin and the ability to corral ball carriers on the edge give Jones an inside track in defensive line coach Ron Aiken‘s system. Jones will no doubt be a Duck in the near future.
“I just want to experience something new … Oregon gives me the chance to play high-level football, too. I like how the coaches handle things and I love what I know about the program. I’m definitely taking an official there this fall to check them out, and hopefully I’ll have that offer.”
For Jones’ highlights, please click here.
Just two states to the south, wide receiver Jaelan Austin (3-Star/Grand Prairie, TX) also has the Ducks at the top of his list.
“Oregon has been a school I’ve always liked since I was eight years old. It was a dream come true when they offered and I can’t wait to get up there. Coach (Scott) Frost and coach (Matt) Lubick stay in touch with me every week.”
Austin’s ability to make opposing corners work in the passing lanes leads to big dividends when the lanky 6-foot-2, 190 lb. route-runner explodes into the open field after the catch. Not to be forgotten, Austin’s hands both in and out of traffic make him an ideal target in the Oregon passing game. Austin will take an official visit to Eugene on September 6th when the Ducks go toe-to-toe with Michigan State.
For Austin’s Highlights, please click here.
For up to the minute recruiting news, please visit our friends at DUCK TERRITORY, who graciously provide FISHDUCK with in-depth analysis and player-generated material. Look for my latest recruiting update every Wednesday. WTD!!!
Main photo by Kevin Cline
Volunteer Position Openings:
- Basketball Writer: Do you know the game and love to think about the upcoming season for our beloved Ducks? Write about them! It's fun doing homework on a winner!
- Assistant Football Analyst: Love college football and enjoy watching it for hours? We need associates to view games and find the techniques/teaching points we identify for them in advance. You will be recognized in publications, and could have the opportunity to move to full Analyst.
- College Football Analyst: We are looking for Coaches, or retired coaches to help create analysis videos (we do the video part) that will be viewed by thousands, and will help young football players as well as fans understand the game much better. The national recognition will help your resume' as well as make an impact upon the game we all dearly love.
- Video Specialist: We are looking for help in the Eugene/Springfield area to assist with the shooting and editing of analysis videos.
- All Positions: Send a resume' with full contact information and any writing samples you have to email@example.com Again, these are volunteer positions donating five hours a week each.