Good morning, Duck fans! Welcome to another season of “Let’s Learn About Our Opponents.” This week is a rarity in the annals of Duck football. It’s the first time that on Tuesday, the week of the game, I was still saying, “Which one is it again?”
But one thing remains certain. We would have a better chance to lose this one if we were playing:
Most Oregon fans don’t know a whole lot about the great state of South Dakota other than, of course, the faces on Mount Rushmore. But even they look somehow different than I remember.
Be that as it may, there are some really interesting facts about South Dakota that need to be known by Duck fans of good cheer and gracious hospitality. We are to be joined by a large grouping of South Dakota fans at Autzen Stadium this Saturday. It’s only right that we learn something about their state.
1. South Dakota may not have a storied sports tradition, but they are renowned for their potato wrestling. Clark, South Dakota, is home to the world-famous (using that term loosely) Mashed Potato Wrestling Competition.
2. Woonsocket, South Dakota, is known as the “Town with the Beautiful Lake.” I’m sure that the lake itself is as pretty as a picture. The town itself leaves something to be desired.
3. In 1803, Thomas Jefferson purchased South Dakota as a part of the Louisiana Purchase. It was literally the transaction of the century. The Bayou of Louisiana, the fertile plains of Missouri and Iowa. The rugged beauty of Arkansas.
Then T.J. took a trip West. He saw the size of the mosquitoes. He saw the barren wasteland that makes you want to kill yourself before you’re halfway to Minnesota on I-90. He experienced what passes for nightlife in this God-forsaken state that wouldn’t make a decent Oregon if we spotted it everything but the “O.” He did what any self-respecting president with buyer’s remorse would do.
4. The Anne Hathaway Cottage at Wessington Springs is the only structure in the Midwest of the United States that features a thatched roof.
We at FishDuck.com/isthistheonethathasFargo would like to herald the start of the college football season with a hearty “Go Ducks!” Whip those Coyotes!
Top photo by flickr.com
Volunteer Position Openings:
- Basketball Writer: Do you know the game and love to think about the upcoming season for our beloved Ducks? Write about them! It's fun doing homework on a winner!
- Assistant Football Analyst: Love college football and enjoy watching it for hours? We need associates to view games and find the techniques/teaching points we identify for them in advance. You will be recognized in publications, and could have the opportunity to move to full Analyst.
- College Football Analyst: We are looking for Coaches, or retired coaches to help create analysis videos (we do the video part) that will be viewed by thousands, and will help young football players as well as fans understand the game much better. The national recognition will help your resume' as well as make an impact upon the game we all dearly love.
- Video Specialist: We are looking for help in the Eugene/Springfield area to assist with the shooting and editing of analysis videos.
- All Positions: Send a resume' with full contact information and any writing samples you have to email@example.com Again, these are volunteer positions donating five hours a week each.