Good morning, Duck fans! Welcome to another season of “Let’s Learn About Our Opponents.” This week is a rarity in the annals of Duck football. It’s the first time that on Tuesday, the week of the game, I was still saying, “Which one is it again?”
But one thing remains certain. We would have a better chance to lose this one if we were playing:
Most Oregon fans don’t know a whole lot about the great state of South Dakota other than, of course, the faces on Mount Rushmore. But even they look somehow different than I remember.
Be that as it may, there are some really interesting facts about South Dakota that need to be known by Duck fans of good cheer and gracious hospitality. We are to be joined by a large grouping of South Dakota fans at Autzen Stadium this Saturday. It’s only right that we learn something about their state.
1. South Dakota may not have a storied sports tradition, but they are renowned for their potato wrestling. Clark, South Dakota, is home to the world-famous (using that term loosely) Mashed Potato Wrestling Competition.
2. Woonsocket, South Dakota, is known as the “Town with the Beautiful Lake.” I’m sure that the lake itself is as pretty as a picture. The town itself leaves something to be desired.
3. In 1803, Thomas Jefferson purchased South Dakota as a part of the Louisiana Purchase. It was literally the transaction of the century. The Bayou of Louisiana, the fertile plains of Missouri and Iowa. The rugged beauty of Arkansas.
Then T.J. took a trip West. He saw the size of the mosquitoes. He saw the barren wasteland that makes you want to kill yourself before you’re halfway to Minnesota on I-90. He experienced what passes for nightlife in this God-forsaken state that wouldn’t make a decent Oregon if we spotted it everything but the “O.” He did what any self-respecting president with buyer’s remorse would do.
4. The Anne Hathaway Cottage at Wessington Springs is the only structure in the Midwest of the United States that features a thatched roof.
We at FishDuck.com/isthistheonethathasFargo would like to herald the start of the college football season with a hearty “Go Ducks!” Whip those Coyotes!
Top photo by flickr.com
- Do you like to write? Want some experience sportswriting or wish to build your own article portfolio? Our articles are searched and found every day--even old ones! We have a few openings for writers who like to do the longer Featured Articles, and some slots for the Sports News Team that does shorter articles for our Oregon fan readership. Contact me at [email protected]
- Editors like to edit; they don't like to fuss around with the other stuff in running a site....they enjoy working with words and making articles better while mentoring young writers to improve their craft. Join us! A Duck who likes to edit is a Rare Bird that we value at FishDuck.com...contact me at [email protected]