Good morning, Duck fans! Welcome to another season of “Let’s Learn About Our Opponents.” This week is a rarity in the annals of Duck football. It’s the first time that on Tuesday, the week of the game, I was still saying, “Which one is it again?”
But one thing remains certain. We would have a better chance to lose this one if we were playing:
Most Oregon fans don’t know a whole lot about the great state of South Dakota other than, of course, the faces on Mount Rushmore. But even they look somehow different than I remember.
Be that as it may, there are some really interesting facts about South Dakota that need to be known by Duck fans of good cheer and gracious hospitality. We are to be joined by a large grouping of South Dakota fans at Autzen Stadium this Saturday. It’s only right that we learn something about their state.
1. South Dakota may not have a storied sports tradition, but they are renowned for their potato wrestling. Clark, South Dakota, is home to the world-famous (using that term loosely) Mashed Potato Wrestling Competition.
2. Woonsocket, South Dakota, is known as the “Town with the Beautiful Lake.” I’m sure that the lake itself is as pretty as a picture. The town itself leaves something to be desired.
3. In 1803, Thomas Jefferson purchased South Dakota as a part of the Louisiana Purchase. It was literally the transaction of the century. The Bayou of Louisiana, the fertile plains of Missouri and Iowa. The rugged beauty of Arkansas.
Then T.J. took a trip West. He saw the size of the mosquitoes. He saw the barren wasteland that makes you want to kill yourself before you’re halfway to Minnesota on I-90. He experienced what passes for nightlife in this God-forsaken state that wouldn’t make a decent Oregon if we spotted it everything but the “O.” He did what any self-respecting president with buyer’s remorse would do.
4. The Anne Hathaway Cottage at Wessington Springs is the only structure in the Midwest of the United States that features a thatched roof.
We at FishDuck.com/isthistheonethathasFargo would like to herald the start of the college football season with a hearty “Go Ducks!” Whip those Coyotes!
Top photo by flickr.com
- The best Damn Opponent analysis on the web is coming out on Thursdays. Rory Davidson is a rising star at FishDuck.com as an analyst and you will always learn something new from him every week. Kim Hastings is our legendary humor writer who will be lampooning our opponent each week on Thursdays as well. So we will honor our opponent with Rory's respectful analysis...and then Kim will punch with glee and the opposing fans will have laugh at themselves. (or get indignant) What fun! Learning football and hooting at the opposition on Thursdays!
- Want to help mentor and teach students at FishDuck.com? Be an ADVISOR to a department! We want people who are a little older to counsel associates and keep them on track. Knowledge of a dept. is not necessary and if you were in Eugene? All the better although other locations can work. If you can spare 3-5 hours a week, and enjoy working with students and like keeping things organized…then contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
- Get experience in Media Management? Be a Managing Editor at FishDuck.com! If you can spare an hour a day to help the site stay on track, then you will be making decisions and learning skills that can help in Website or Newsroom management. A six month commitment required due to the training period, but it can help your resume as one who helping to manage over 40 writers and editors! Contact me email@example.com