That is not an insult. It’s really a compliment. I admire Michigan State University. The Merriam-Webster definition of Spartan is “marked by simplicity, frugality or avoidance of luxury and comfort.“ And they take the definition seriously. The school motto, translated into English, means:
See what I mean?
But Michiganders as a group of sports fans are to be admired. After all, they knew Sparky Anderson after he wasn’t good anymore.
They also knew Nick Saban before he was any good:
… And Jim Schwartz, who couldn’t coach at all but can be forgiven since he operates under a physical handicap.
But the State of Michigan is a rich and diverse place. We at FishDuck.com/BoSchembechlerisagodtous would like to welcome the Spartan fans and direct them to the nearest KOA Kampground. We wouldn’t want them to get too comfortable and lose their Spartan creed. Let’s learn a little bit about Michigan:
1. Standing anywhere in the state a person is within 85 miles of one of the Great Lakes. And likely within a foot or two of another of nature’s wonders.
2. The Detroit Zoo was the first zoo in America to feature cage-less, open exhibits that allowed the animals more freedom to roam. It was like a safari right here in the middle of the United States.
3. Colon, Michigan, is home to the world’s largest manufacture of magic supplies. Even the weather is magic in this town. When the wind blows they call it a:
4. Singing sand can be found on the beaches of Grand Haven. I found this one hard to believe. So I decided that I couldn’t talk about it unless I saw it for myself. I hitched a ride on the FishDuck.com jet and lo and behold, upon my honor as a Duck fan of long-standing reputation, the Grand Haven, Michigan, sand actually sang to me.
Finally, we would like to sincerely welcome the Michigan State fans who are coming to Oregon for the game. We hope you find the weather to your liking, the city to your satisfaction and the cheerleaders … well, we don’t need to worry about them.
But here is something a little special for Oregon and Michigan State fans alike who are going to have to watch the game from home. Since:
a. The game is going to be the anchor for ESPN Game Day and …
b. A recent survey showed that 47 percent of our readership is female …
We offer, as a special gift:
Top image by www.sports-logos-screensavers.com
- Managers are fascinating to me....these are people who like to organize others and get satisfaction from making things run smooth. They enjoy dealing with the mundane mistakes of associates and they find ways to communicate--and help them achieve their potential in that venture. I, Charles Fischer, of FishDuck.com do NOT have those skills and with 70 volunteers I need help from professional managers and those who wish to get experience in management. It is five hours a week to help with other volunteers. What is a curse to me, can be great fun for you! You could make a BIG impact upon the site and other Oregon fans; contact me at email@example.com
- ARE YOU A COACH who would like to share some of your knowledge with the fans and other coaches that come to FishDuck.com? Make an impact upon others as we all learn together this sport we all love. Consider being an advisor or guest writer on the site! Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you like to write? Want some experience sportswriting or wish to build your own article portfolio? Our articles are searched and found every day--even old ones! We have a few openings for writers who like to do the longer Featured Articles, and some slots for the Sports News Team that does shorter articles for our Oregon fan readership. Contact me at email@example.com
- Editors like to edit; they don't like to fuss around with the other stuff in running a site....they enjoy working with words and making articles better while mentoring young writers to improve their craft. Join us! A Duck who likes to edit is a Rare Bird that we value at FishDuck.com...contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org