Recently-minted Oregon commit Travis Waller (4-Star/Anaheim, Cal./Rivals250) entered July with something to prove. Even in the highly scrutinized world of prep recruiting, a large contingent of fans and pundits had yet to cast their evaluation on the Duck’s new signal caller.
That all changed this past week.
Waller not only turned heads, but led his 7-on-7 Apocalypse squad to a championship at Nike’s The Opening. If that wasn’t enough, he garnered high praise and a lofty prediction to close out his time in Beaverton.
“I love Travis Waller,” said analyst/coach Yogi Roth. ”Love when he got into 7-on-7 settings … I want to hear (that) in the huddle, I want to hear their presence. With Travis, I want to stand way up and just watch him … When you watch him and he takes a drop and it’s a play-action pass, he resets, here’s a kid who’s not necessarily under center a lot, but he looks the part. He looks like he can really play at a high level.”
Roth wasn’t done.
“I think his ceiling out of all of these guys … might be the highest … because of his athleticism, because of his live arm and his frame. His calm demeanor, his athleticism, he’s got unreal potential. I love his suddenness, his movement, his ability to get to 1, 2, 3 (and) his ability to get rid of the ball on time … ”
Waller’s maturation will only continue, as a final prep season will undoubtedly produce the type of highlights that we, The Oregon Faithful, will come to expect when he makes the journey to Eugene next summer, stay tuned!
“It feels great out here in Oregon,” said Merritt. “I can’t wait to go take an official visit to Oregon this season. Travis Waller and Taj Griffin are always recruiting me hard. It’s the offense, the spread, getting athletes in space. Oregon said I play receiver that can play like a running back, like Josh Huff.”
For up to the minute recruiting news, please visit our friends at DUCK TERRITORY, who graciously provide FISHDUCK with in-depth analysis and player-generated material. Look for my latest recruiting update every Wednesday. WTD!!!
Main photo by Steve Francis
Volunteer Position Openings:
- Basketball Writer: Do you know the game and love to think about the upcoming season for our beloved Ducks? Write about them! It's fun doing homework on a winner!
- Assistant Football Analyst: Love college football and enjoy watching it for hours? We need associates to view games and find the techniques/teaching points we identify for them in advance. You will be recognized in publications, and could have the opportunity to move to full Analyst.
- College Football Analyst: We are looking for Coaches, or retired coaches to help create analysis videos (we do the video part) that will be viewed by thousands, and will help young football players as well as fans understand the game much better. The national recognition will help your resume' as well as make an impact upon the game we all dearly love.
- Video Specialist: We are looking for help in the Eugene/Springfield area to assist with the shooting and editing of analysis videos.
- All Positions: Send a resume' with full contact information and any writing samples you have to email@example.com Again, these are volunteer positions donating five hours a week each.