It seems like such a short time ago. The very name “USC” brought about a sense of awe. Many of us liked to say the whole thing without shortening it – ”The University of Southern California.” They were who we wanted to be – a perennial power. The top of the college football world. They played in “The Coliseum.” No need for another name. No need for a corporate sponsorship. It was “The Coliseum.”
They had an energetic coach that chewed gum and high-fived with his players just as if he was a real guy.
And all was well … until it wasn’t. Reggie Bush and his squatter family ruined the reputation of the men of Troy. The school thought that they were too big to fail but fail they did. They were
For a while the fans bravely stood shoulder to shoulder. They stood against the pounding sea of defeat and dread shouting “We’ll be okay. Our coach will ride out the storm! He’s Peter the Great!.” But soon reality began to hit. Pete took his foul mouth to the NFL. USC fans (and no fans have ever been so arrogant south of Seattle) saw their brains turn from football savvy instruments of football analysis to
Soon things went from bad to worse. USC once had coaches such as John McKay (cough, Oregon grad), John Robinson (cough, on Len Casanova’s coaching staff with McKay) and others. They had always had a “Head Coach,” who was the “Head Man.” Now they just had
And the USC fan saw the power of the Pacific 12 move away from the Los Angeles Basin. It traveled north, nodded toward the Bay Area but bypassed California on it’s way to Eugene, where it has rested ever since. The USC fan became angry about this turn of events. How angry, you ask?
Now the Trojans have hired Steve Sarkisian, who knowledgeable people have told me will “right the ship.” But USC, recently freed from scholarship limitations and sanctions, is going to be awfully young for the foreseeable future.
So the prediction from the brain trust here at FishDuck.com/mutteringmasso0fprotoplasm is as follows – Trojan fans will be enchanted initially. They will be taken in by Sarkisian’s seemingly engaging style and youthful exuberance for the job. But the wins will not be as consistent as they would like. They will grumble, they will gripe. Then they will
Top photo by en.wikipedia.org
Volunteer Position Openings:
- Basketball Writer: Do you know the game and love to think about the upcoming season for our beloved Ducks? Write about them! It's fun doing homework on a winner!
- Assistant Football Analyst: Love college football and enjoy watching it for hours? We need associates to view games and find the techniques/teaching points we identify for them in advance. You will be recognized in publications, and could have the opportunity to move to full Analyst.
- College Football Analyst: We are looking for Coaches, or retired coaches to help create analysis videos (we do the video part) that will be viewed by thousands, and will help young football players as well as fans understand the game much better. The national recognition will help your resume' as well as make an impact upon the game we all dearly love.
- Video Specialist: We are looking for help in the Eugene/Springfield area to assist with the shooting and editing of analysis videos.
- All Positions: Send a resume' with full contact information and any writing samples you have to email@example.com Again, these are volunteer positions donating five hours a week each.