Spring football gets underway around the Pacific Northwest this week. Looking forward, Duck fans have a few questions for the 2014/15 campaign. Will the linebackers step up? Is the offensive line improved? After they lose for the 11th time in a row, can we expect Washington fans en masse to jump off a Seattle area bridge, or will they use the Ferry Street bridge nearby?
But questions are what Spring ball is all about. In our quest for exhaustive coverage, FishDuck.com/investigativereportingtomakeWoodwardandBernsteinjealous has traveled around the country to ferret out those questions being asked by other fan bases:
1. Alabama Crimson Tide: Sure Nick Saban has a ton of trophies in his office but, after failing to win even the SEC in 2013, folks in Tuscaloosa and places even less sophisticated, are wondering if modern football has left Nick behind. Saban’s panic-stricken efforts to keep football played at a snail’s pace leaves us wondering if he might not be wondering the same thing. Little wonder.
2. Georgia Bulldogs: Following the recent trend toward alternate uniforms, and in light of the recent series of arrests at Georgia, FishDuck.com got word that Head Coach Mark Richt might be planning a change in attire for the 2014 season. While the final design isn’t yet set in stone, our investigators took some behind the scenes photos.
3. Florida State Seminoles: Fresh off of their first National Championship in quite a while, the ‘Noles have a lot of talent coming back. Reigning Heisman winner Jameis Winston is expected to have his team in the hunt one more time. The Seminole staff is preparing Winston for the season by making sure that he is up-to-date on the playbook as well as one other publication.
4. Washington Huskies: The Huskies tried to win with Rick Neuheisel, a good amount of cheating and a roster full of skilled position players. They tried to win with Steve Sarkisian and a defense led by Nick Holt. Now they will try to win with new head coach Chris Petersen. Fresh from the recruiting wars waged in Weiser, Idaho, Petersen will be leading a team that has talent but is … say it with me, you know it as well as I do … “young.” This team is so young that Peterson is considering a name change for the 2014 season.
5. Oregon State Beavers: The Beavers just need to distinguish between two things that will provide a chance for a good 2014 season, and maybe even a trip to some minor bowl that will be invented this summer. They need to learn to distinguish between two things:
Go Ducks! Win the Day begins with winning the Spring!
Top photo by en.wikipedia.org
Kim Hastings is a 1984 graduate of Northwest Christian College. He cut his journalistic teeth as sports editor of a paper in his home town of Fortuna, CA, and, later as a columnist for the Longview Daily News in Longview, WA.
He saw his first Oregon game in 1977 and never missed a home game from 1981 until a bout with pneumonia cut his streak short in 1997. He was one of the proud 3200 on a bitterly cold night in Shreveport, Louisiana in 1989 for the Independence Bowl, and continues to be big supporter of Oregon sports. He is an active participant on the various Oregon Ducks messageboards as “TacomaDuck.”
FishDuck EVERY DAY! Articles Appear Seven Days a Week Beginning August 1st!
FishDuck articles will now be on every day of the week beginning August 1st, and we have some dandies planned. Check in every day and don’t miss out!
The Our Beloved Ducks Forum (OBD) is where we we discuss the article above and many more topics, as it is so much easier in a message board format over there. At the free OBD forum we will be posting Oregon Sports article links, the daily Press Releases from the Athletic Department and the news coming out every day.
Be a part of the forum and stay caught up! When you wish to post there, do know that you are protected just as you were on FishDuck. Join us on the free forum right here!
Our 33 rules at the free OBD Forum can be summarized to this: 1) be polite and respectful, 2) keep it clean, and 3) no reference of any kind to politics. Easy-peasy!
OBD Forum members….we got your back. No Trolls Allowed!