Well folks — another game, another opportunity for Super Mariota to extend the records he has already set for our Ducks football team. Every couple of weeks I like to write a small piece about Marcus Mariota‘s accomplishments thus far, and I think it’s about time for an update!
There are just so many! I will simply offer a bulleted list, for reader convenience. Mariota…
- Continued his streak of throwing at least one touchdown pass in every game of his career (36 games to date, with a total of 92 scores through the air)
- Had 31 touchdown passes in 2013 and has 29 so far in 2014
- Threw for a career-high of six touchdowns at California as a freshman in 2012
- Has thrown four or more touchdown passes in eight games in his collegiate career
- Leads the nation in quarterback rating, at 184.56
- Has a 170.9 efficiency rating
- Leads the country in points responsible for, with 228 total points (22.8/game)
- Is ranked ninth in total offense with 330.4 yards/game
- Owns Oregon’s school records for: touchdown passes, total offense and passing yards
How?! If Mariota can’t do it, no one can! I can’t even call this a comprehensive list of Mariota’s accomplishments, because it’s not. Don’t forget there is still more football to be played and more records to be broken — especially if he sticks around for next season (which I’m keeping my fingers crossed for).
When it comes to the Heisman Trophy, Mariota is the front-runner and it is looking pretty promising at this point. Before last weekend’s Mississippi State/Alabama game, Dak Prescott was a bit of a concern in the running. However, Alabama pulled off the upset and Prescott had three interceptions that game, pretty much sealing his destiny as far as a Heisman award went this season.
This weekend our Ducks will face the Colorado Buffaloes in the final home game of the season. I am excited to see what Mariota does this week, as he always finds a way to amaze me and other fans. Regardless of what happens on that field, this weekend will be bittersweet as it will be our last time seeing our seniors out there. I can only imagine they’re going to leave it all on the field!
Top Photo by Kevin Cline
Fantastic FishDuck.com Discussion!
The comments below the articles have drawn raves from so many, and I do appreciate your emails about it.
Be a part of it! If you check the rules, you will see that I protect everyone from the trolls. So, there is no downside! We want to hear from all readers on all the articles, so jump in Ducks, (as the water is fine) and be a part of this tremendous community!