Duke Fans Are Southern Cal-East: Insufferable
My friends – I went looking for information about Duke basketball, and ran into an article that just dumped all the material you can to brag about a team into one compact view. The post was supposed to be about the match-up between the Ducks and Blue Devils, but it was all about their tradition, their great coach, the plaudits of their players … I gotta stop before I hurl.
Where was any discussion of Oregon in that?
Keep in mind that this article was written for their fans - the ones who know these facts already!
Just scanning it brought back memories of entitled Southern Cal football fans, and reminded me of how finding full-of-themselves bandwagoners do not occur in only one conference.
Gawd I hope our beloved Ducks play their most intense defense ever, and hit all their clutch shots to put these fans in the rear-view mirror.
I am lifting the following information from the site DukeReport.com, and you can see the article here if you like.
- Duke is making its 15th Sweet 16 appearance since 1998, the most in the nation over that time.
- Duke is 9-5 against No. 1 seeds in the NCAA Tournament since seeding began in 1979.
- Duke has the best NCAA Tournament winning percentage in the event’s history (.797) and ranks third all-time in NCAA Tournament wins (107).
- Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski has won a record 90 NCAA Tournament games. Only one other active coach (Roy WIlliams) has coached in 90 NCAA Tournament contests.
- Krzyzewski’s record 23 Sweet 16 appearances are five more than the next-closest coach on the list (Jim Boeheim – 18).
- Grayson Allen was a first-team all-ACC pick and earned Co-Most Improved Player honors from the coaches. Brandon Ingram was a second-team all-ACC selection and the ACC Freshman of the Year.
- Allen was named a second-team CoSIDA academic all-American on March 3 and a Sporting News second-team all-American on March 9.
- Allen is on pace to be just the ninth player to lead Duke in both scoring and assists in a season. He could also be the seventh Duke player to average 20+ points and dish out 100 assists in a season.
- Among ACC freshmen this season, Ingram leads in scoring (17.1), three-point percentage (.415), rebounding (6.8) and double-doubles (8), and ranks second in blocks (1.4).
- Ingram’s 17.1 points per game is the highest average among freshmen to reach the regional round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Duke’s average of 81.5 points per game is the sixth-best among major-conference teams. The Blue Devils rank fourth nationally in offensive efficiency (120.3).
- Duke has made 321 three-pointers, the program’s second-best single-season total. Allen (88), Ingram (78) and Matt Jones (74) are the first trio in Duke history to each make 70+ threes in a season.
- Luke Kennard ranks second in the ACC and ninth nationally with an .889 free throw percentage, third-best in Duke history by a freshman.
- Marshall Plumlee has dunked 58 times on the season, tied for the fifth-best single-season total in program history.