This is the week that we have all been waiting for. At the end of last season the Ducks summarily ushered Mack Brown out the door with a swift kick in the rear and the parting words “Next time bring a passing game.” Since that night, Oregon fans have been looking forward to the next season to finally get here. Well, it’s here. Another year of the greatest sport ever conceived since cavemen invented football – maybe.
This wait, during the last summer months, has been a time of both renewal and refreshment. College football, Duck football if you will, is the best of the best, in terms of sports. Here are a few reasons why:
1. It Moves Faster Than Any Sport Except for Hockey and the Players Get to Keep Their Teeth
2. When Football Players Lay on the Ground It’s a Good Bet that There Is Some Pain Involved:
3. College Football Players Have Time Honored and Appropriate Ways of Congratulating Each Other
While baseball players, well … don’t.
4. College Football Games Tend to Have More Scoring then Their Professional Counterparts
5. Football Players, Not Being Prima Donna Crybabies, Don’t Mind If We Talk While They Play
6. Tennis Players Just Seem to Be Brats:
7. College Football Players Aren’t Stupidily Wealthy
8 But Probably the Best Reason Why College Football Is the Greatest Sport Has to Do With It’s Cyclical Nature
The real games start next week, boys and girls! Oregon and one Dakota or the other in what could be a preview of … the second half of Oregon and some Dakota.
Top image by flickr.com
Kim Hastings is a 1984 graduate of Northwest Christian College. He cut his journalistic teeth as sports editor of a paper in his home town of Fortuna, CA, and, later as a columnist for the Longview Daily News in Longview, WA.
He saw his first Oregon game in 1977 and never missed a home game from 1981 until a bout with pneumonia cut his streak short in 1997. He was one of the proud 3200 on a bitterly cold night in Shreveport, Louisiana in 1989 for the Independence Bowl, and continues to be big supporter of Oregon sports. He is an active participant on the various Oregon Ducks messageboards as “TacomaDuck.”
For Greybeards … the EYES Have it!
Want to know a secret about web behavior? Readers don’t like long stretches of sentences in comment posts without any breaks, and most readers don’t even like long paragraphs.
Break it up! After every third sentence in your post…hit “enter” on your keyboard twice if your computer is a PC, or “return” twice if you have a Mac.
This creates natural breaks between scads of sentences, and so many of us thank you for making it easier on our “Greybeard-age” eyes!